To all BBM users and fanatics, RIM is reported to bring out the official update to one of the world’s most used smartphone instant messaging app today. After being in the beta zone since November last year, the official BlackBerry Messenger Version 188.8.131.52 will whet BlackBerry users’ appetite with these new features on its plate:
1. Status update can now be entered with around 160 characters, which means users are no longer limited to what they want to say in their profile status. This is clearly a good option to updating your BBM contacts, instead of sending out those long, unnecessary broadcast messages to some annoyed users. 160 characters is more than double the limit before.
2. New Emoticons and Animated Avatars will also be rolled out, which definitely address users demand for more emoticons. Now, users will no longer have to broadcast those fake messages with a list of new new emoticons to “activate” because RIM is serving it for everyone to upgrade. There are about 12 new emoticons that users can utilize to express more feelings or emotions.
And how cool is this new animated avatar feature where the icons aren’t just the standard, still icons of a smile, a laugh, or a cry? The new update allows users to scroll over the icon to see them really laugh, or cry, or perhaps blush and smile. Users can access these avatars in the profile section where users can change their display picture.
3. BBM Display Picture is now Integrated with The Phone’s Camera, which means users can now easily update their profile pictures in BBM right after taking that “fierce” snapshot. Users simply press the Menu option (BlackBerry logo on the keyboard) after taking the picture, then choose Set as BBM Display Picture.
4. Chat Bubbles Can Now Be Customized with 10 Different Colors. The colored chat bubbles can be assigned to contacts (as there are only 10, perhaps they could be designated to favorite contacts), and easily help identify chats/conversation with friends and family.
*For the new OS 7.1 devices:
5. The update includes Blackberry Tag, which allows BB OS 7 users to invite other NFC-supported devices simply by tapping the handsets against each other.
These features are definitely something to look forward to within the next day or two. Please be advised that the update however will only be available to OS 5 and above handsets.
Here are some photos of the new features:
Once you guys get the new version, tell us what you think about it. Perhaps you can share your new experiences with the update.
(Images from Google. No copyright infringement is intended in the use of these photos)